About the Burnaby Mountain District Energy Utility
The Burnaby Mountain District Energy Utility (BMDEU) is a district energy system providing thermal energy heating and domestic hot water to Simon Fraser University (SFU) and the UniverCity Residential Neighbourhood located adjacent to the SFU campus. Thermal energy is provided through a low-carbon biomass central energy plant, with peaking and backup thermal energy supplied by natural gas boilers.
Corix and SFU Community Trust have signed agreements for the provision of service to UniverCity customers. Corix designs, builds, owns, and operates the system with regulatory oversight from the British Columbia Utilities Commission (BCUC). All terms and conditions of service, rates, and fees are subject to review and approval by the BCUC.
SFU Community Trust’s commitment to achieving the smallest carbon footprint for the UniverCity community guided the selection of Corix to develop the district energy system and to use biomass. The system will be developed to provide affordable, safe, reliable, and renewable low-carbon energy to UniverCity customers.
Corix and District Energy
For more information regarding Corix's extensive experience with district energy projects in Canada and the US, please visit our District Energy pages.
About the Corix Group of Companies
Corix is a leader in the implementation of sustainable water, wastewater, and energy utility infrastructure solutions for small to medium-sized communities across North America. We design, supply, build, install, finance, and operate local utility infrastructure on behalf of municipal, institutional, and private-sector customers.
We are a privately held company owned by the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI). Our head office is in Vancouver.
Purpose • Vision • Values
We help people enjoy a better life and communities thrive.
We are the preferred utility delivering solutions our customers want.
- We believe all accidents are preventable.
- We proactively and immediately address unsafe situations.
- We see something, we say something.
- We know that management cares for our safety.
- We have a good reputation and people want to work for us.
- We ensure execution is aligned to our strategy.
- We trust one another.
- We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are trusted by our customers and stakeholders.
- We do what we say.
- We know our customers, stakeholders and employees.
- We understand our business, operations and performance.
- We co-create value for everyone involved.
- We are invested in each other’s success.
- We cultivate and nurture sustainable relationships.
- We do the best we can with the resources available at that time.
- We strive for excellence when no one else is looking.
- We take pride in everything we do.
- We are focused, efficient and effective.
- We are recognized by the customers and communities we serve.
To learn more about the Corix Group of Companies, please visit our corporate homepage.